Thursday, February 16, 2006

All of our problems are solved!

I sometimes read the column "overlawyered" when I am in a conservative mood. Torts are going to kill us all, so let's at least have some humor about them in the meantime. Since I didn't become a lawyer, opting for the lowly architect role, I stand to lose a deal, a company, or a project because of some overzealous lawsuit in the future, especially that I now have an identity in the world through the application for a licence. I fear an environment that prevents advancement. Whether it be patent trolls, historical commissions, or personal injury scouts. The profession shudders, and every line I write now goes through my own personal libel filter. It's outrageous and preposterous.

In fact, a lawyer who is a client right now has threatened legal action against my firm for failing to keep billings in line. We are out there putting out asses on the line preventing his historical renovation project from collapsing onto the town administrative offices (oh the irony) and he thinks his bill wasn't negotiated correctly. Well, I can only imagine that what he charges for one hour of his time is what I am billed out for an entire day. Not to knock the legal trade, but what do people think we do? Architects are the decendants of the master builder, balancing gravity, proportion, the regulations, and cost. There are situations where we aren't needed, but many where it is vital and a public hazard to not use one.

Anyway, so we are underpaid, overworked, and scoffed at by builders, clients, and officials. Oh well, I'll just file a trivial suit against my alma mater for failing to inform me of these pitfalls. I can only hope for a settlement. $2 million should be good.

No comments: